Magic Item Creation
As per the rules located on pages 128 – 129 in the DMG. A summary follows.
- Normal Healing Potions can be created for 1/2 the listed price of any other magic item because no actual magic is used.
Example: A common healing potion starts at 100gp for a common item, price is halved for a one-use item to 50gp, and then halved again to 25gp because it requires no actual magic, just an herbalism or alchemist kit or equivalent.
- Common items do not require a formula.
All other items follow the normal rules which are in summary:
- First, you need a formula that describes the item and how to make it. These must be found.
- Second, you must be a spellcaster with spell slots and be able to cast any spells the item can produce.
- Third, you must meet the minimum level requirement of the item indicated by its rarity (see below).
- Fourth, you must spend the money and time necessary to complete the item (see below).
- Fifth, some items may require rare components or procedures found in the world as indicated by the formula. (Example: The hide from a displacer beast to create a cloak of displacement).
Magic Item Costs
Common: Requires 3rd level
- 100gp + 4 days
- 50gp + 2 days for one use item.
- Healing Potion = 25gp + 1 day
Uncommon: Requires 3rd level
- 500gp + 20 days
- 250gp + 10 days for one use item
Rare: Requires 6th level
- 5,000gp + 200 days
- 2,500gp + 100 days for one use item
Very Rare: Requires 11th level
- 50,000gp + 2,000 days
- 25,000gp + 1,000 days for one use item
Legendary: Requires 17th level
- 500,000gp + 20,000 days
- 250,000gp + 10,000 days for one use item
Note: You may combine time from multiple people toward creating a magic item to shorten the time needed to create it, but all those involved must meet the requirements to do so.
Furthermore, there are a maximum number of people that can work on an item based on the type of item.
Weapon = 3 max (head/blade, handle, crossguard/etc)
Shield = 2 max (face, handle/straps)
Light Armor = 3 max (chest, 2x arms)
Medium Armor = 4 max (chest, 2x arms, head/helmet)
Heavy Armor = 6 max (chest, 2x arms, head/helmet, 2x legs)
Scrolls are a different animals since like potions they are one use items, but they require the user to be a spellcaster, so their cost is further reduced.
Cantrip Scroll = 5 gp plus material components
1st level Scroll = 25 gp plus material components
2nd level Scroll = 67.5 gp plus material components
3rd level Scroll = 125 gp plus material components
4th level Scroll = 625 gp plus material components
5th level Scroll = 1,250 gp plus material components
6th level Scroll = 6,250 gp plus material components
7th level Scroll = 12,500 gp plus material components
8th level Scroll = 62,500 gp plus material components
9th level Scroll = 125,000 gp plus material components